JOHN MCNEESE ART GALLERY
400 E. CENTRAL, SUITE 100
a 1,000 square foot space dedicated to our Founder, arts advocate and philanthropist, John McNeese. The new gallery is located inside suite 101 on the first floor of the City Central building at 400 E. Central Avenue in downtown Ponca City. In 1988, McNeese founded the Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition and was recognized in 1996 with the Governor’s Arts Award of Special Recognition for his contributions to the visual arts in Oklahoma. The John McNeese Gallery is free and open to the public on Thursdays and Fridays from 10 am to 2 pm.
the poncan theatre
104 E GRAND AVE
The Poncan Theatre can proudly claim the largest collection in the world of hand painted lobby art of the 1930’s. These large one-of-a-kind paintings once graced the fronts and lobbies of movie palaces beckoning patrons to come see the stars of the day on the silver screen! The Poncan is also home to the The Evan’s Children’s Academy of Performing Arts, The Ponca City Concert Series, and many musical and theatrical events throughout the year!
301 1ST ST
Opening night in 1958 ushered in a new era of live theatre for Ponca City – The Ponca Playhouse. Since then, the dedicated members and volunteers of the Playhouse have presented quality plays and entertainment, as well as garnering state and national recognition for excellence in Community Theater. The Playhouse presents five shows per season with special theatrical events.
bryant baker gallery & art studio
evans children's academy
104 E GRAND AVE
Five to seven days of the week, community children rehearse on the theatre's stage. For them it is a place to create, perform and grow. "The Poncan Theatre is one of Ponca City's treasures, as are our children. I am passionate about the arts and feel privileged to participate in affording this opportunity for children to experience theatre art in this unique manner." - Patricia Evans
THE doodle academy/The pottery place
103 E GRAND
The Doodle Academy is a home for artistic learning and exploration. The space provides a ceramic studio, educational classes, pottery on-the-wheel, party space, glass fusing, an art gallery, and rental event space. They provide a safe haven to learn and grow for all doodlers, dreamers, and peeps - adults welcome! The Pottery Place is a new expansion that provides pottery and clay experiences to the public
gordon matzene art collection
PONCA CITY LIBRARY, 515 E GRAND AVE
Richard Gordon Matzene, a well-known photographer and art dealer, donated a substantial part of his collection of American Western art and Oriental art to the library in the 1950’s. The priceless collection includes oils, charcoals, and water colors, as well as three-dimensional bronze and pottery pieces from the era of the boxer rebellion.
101 ranch art collection
MARLAND'S GRAND HOME, 1000 E GRAND AVE
The lower level of Marland's Grand Home houses memorabilia from the world-famous 101 Ranch and Wild West Show of the early 1900's. These exhibits include artifacts used on the ranch and in the Wild West Show by the performers and cowboys. 101 Ranch exhibits are included at Marland Grand Home because E.W. Marland drilled on their property and had a friendly relationship with the Miller brothers.
standing bear museum & statue
601 STANDING BEAR PKWY
Standing Bear stood. Turning to face both the judge and audience, he reached out his right hand, and stood motionless so long that the stillness of death which had settled down on the audience, became almost unbearable. At last, looking up at the judge, he said, “That hand is not the color of yours, but if I prick it, the blood will flow, and I shall feel pain. The blood is of the same color as yours. God made me, and I am a man.” Standing Bear Museum & Statue honors Ponca City's first civil rights leader and our seven area tribes.
901 MONUMENT RD
E.W. Marland, millionaire oilman and the 10th Governor of Oklahoma built this mansion in 1928, at a cost of 5.5 million dollars at the time. Modeled after the Davanzati Palace in Florence, Italy, this breathtakingly beautiful “Palace on the Prairie” denotes incredible attention to detail with carved wood, sculptured stone, wrought iron arched doorways, and Waterford crystal chandeliers. This internationally known showplace contains 43,561 square feet spread over four floors ~ complete with leather-lined elevator, twelve bathrooms, three kitchens, an elegant ballroom with a 24-karat gold leaf-covered ceiling worth over 1.9 million dollars and seven fireplaces.
8300 RANCH DR
Although the Miller brothers, their ‘Fabulous Empire’, their ‘Round-up’ Shows and Wild West Show are gone, the 101 Ranch Old Timers Association strives to preserve the memory of all that was once the 101 Ranch. Acknowledging the western heritage of the region and the ranch, the 101 Wild West Rodeo Foundation was formed in 1960 and produced their first celebration parade and rodeo.
attucks community center
1001 S 12TH ST
Construction of “Attucks Separate School” was completed in 1926, with three add-ons completed in 1928, 1936 and 1937. Notably, the school housed a health clinic and provided the first hot lunch program in Kay County. In 1956, Ponca City Schools desegregated grades 7th through 12th. It wasn’t until 1966 that all grades were desegregated in Ponca City, and Attucks Separate School was closed. The school building laid mostly dormant for years, and a couple of fires destroyed several sections before the Attucks Community Alliance was formed and began operating the Attucks Community Center.
marland's grand home
1000 E GRAND AVE
In 1914, after making a fortune in oil, E.W. Marland began construction on his home at 1000 E. Grand Ave. where he lived with his first wife, Mary Virginia, and their adopted niece and nephew, Lydie and George Roberts. This restored 22 room mansion was designed with a central vacuuming system, automatic dishwasher, and the first indoor swimming pool in Oklahoma. The home includes items and displays representing the Marland family and the Marland Oil empire of the 1920's.
pioneer woman museum & Statue
701 MONUMENT RD
The Pioneer Woman Statue & Museum showcases the stories of Oklahoma’s pioneering women and their influence on the development of the state and nation, preserving their legacy of contributions to Oklahoma. “Confident,” the world-famous 17 ft. tall bronze statue commemorating the women of Oklahoma is prominently featured on the museum’s 14 acre grounds.
323 E GRAND AVE
The Veterans Plaza offers a public gathering space, splash pad for children to play, a stage for entertainment, and a place to honor our local veterans. This site also features Ponca City’s first public water fountain. The People, Horse and Dog Fountain was acquired by the City in 1902 for a sum of $300. It is made of iron with a bowl structure at the street level for dogs, a larger bowl at mid-level for horses, and another bowl for people up a bit higher. The Plaza is not only a testament to our veterans, it is a testimony of the hearts and souls of the people of Ponca City. It should inspire all to recognize that our town is populated by people with a benevolent ethic, the connected desire to remember what is important, and celebrate those that gave much and sometimes all to protect it.
5TH ST & HIGHLAND AVE
Erected as a tribute to all Veterans and to honor Prisoners of War and those Missing in Action, this POW-MIA Monument was completed and dedicated in September 2006. It was purchased and installed by the Northern Oklahoma Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 750 and donated to the City of Ponca City, who maintains the monument and surrounding grounds.
city hall/CENTENNIAL PLAZA
516 E GRAND AVE
Ponca City is home to one of the most beautiful city halls in the United States. Designed by Solomon Andrew Layton (architect of the Oklahoma State Capitol Building), it was first built as the City Auditorium in 1916. In 1922 the east and west wings were added and the building became known as the Civic Center, housing city offices and the police and fire stations. The three separate buildings were later connected and the total renovation was completed in 2003.
Centennial Plaza was created to honor the families that staked their claims during the historic Land Run of September 16, 1893. A plaque honoring Burton Seymour Barnes, the founder of Ponca City and its first mayor, stands near the sidewalk on the west side of the Plaza. The statues of “Ernest Whitworth Marland” by Jo Davidson and “Lewis Hanes Wentz” by Jo Saylors, honor both of the oil millionaires and philanthropists at the Plaza as well as "Centennial Monument" by Jo Saylors commemorating the Land Run.
ponca city library
515 E GRAND AVE
The Ponca City Library has been a foundation of the community since 1904. In 1904, the women of the Twentieth Century Club organized the first public library in the back of an insurance office on Grand Avenue. Ponca’s first library building was constructed through the generosity of Andrew Carnegie on the corner of Fifth and Grand in 1910. As Ponca City grew, so did the need for a larger library. The city purchased the land in 1935, and with a grant from the Public Works Administration, the original 18,000 square foot facility was built. In 1989 the library added an extra 10,000 square foot of renovation to the original 1935 building.
wentz camp & pool
2932 LA CANN DR
In 1925, construction began on Wentz camp followed by construction of the swimming pool in 1928. Along with the pool, towers, gateways, cabins, pavilions and terraces were constructed out of locally quarried sandstone.All of these architectural aspects combined create a wonderland in the Romanesque Revival style just outside of PoncaCity.The pool was completed and first opened to the public in August 1930.To this day, the pool remains one of the most magnificent municipal pools in the state of Oklahoma. Wentz is said to have spent more than $350,000 building the pool in camp, equating to over $4.5 million dollars today.
104 E GRAND AVE
The Poncan Theatre opened to a crowd of 1200 paying customers on September 20, 1927, at a cost of $280,000 at the time. Sound was installed in 1929, and through the years, the Poncan enjoyed the “golden era” of cinema. In 1985 the theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. A million dollar restoration project was completed in 1994, with the Poncan restored to its original beauty.
ponca city milling co. elevator
114 W CENTRAL AVE
The Ponca City Milling Company Elevator, also known as the Robin Hood Elevator was built in 1922. The now vacant milling complex, once owned and operated by the Donahoe family, consists of an office, flour storage area, flour mill, grain elevator, and cylindrical grain storage bins. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2019.
501 W SOUTH AVE
OPEN TO TOURS BY APPOIONTMENT ONLY, CLICK THE LEARN MORE TAB
This state-of-the-art museum depicts the transformation from two independent American success stories, E. W. Marland’s Marland Oil Company and Isaac Blake’s Continental Oil and Transportation merging together to become Conoco.
THE experience includes 14 flat screen TVs, a 40-seat movie theater, touchscreen computers, and remakes of a Doodlebugger work site, a 1950s research laboratory and a reconstructed early 1900s gas station, complete with a hands-on gravity fed gas pump.